Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World)


The Principles of Uncertainty by Maira Kalman was recommended to be by a good friend last year... I bought the book and devoured it. Mrs. Kalman's random illustrations and witty commentary seamlessly fit together in an unexpected way. When I found out there was a Maira Kalman exhibit at the Contemporary Museum of Art in San Fran this summer, I knew I had to go. It left me with the same wonder I experienced after reading her book. It was a perfectly arranged show that illustrated the haphazard life of a quirky genius. At the end of the exhibit there was a video of Kalman speaking at a conference. She spoke just like she illustrates. Her honest uncensored observations were so engaging... I now admire her as an illustrator and a person. Each drawing projects the voice and thoughts of Kalman and allows the viewer to step into her world and explore it! This is an exhibit you should be sure not to MIS; If you are not in San Fran no worries, It will be at the Jewish Museum in NYC March 11-July 31, 2011. Check it out @ http://www.thecjm.org/index.php?option=com_ccevents&scope=exbt&task=detail&oid=47 Kalman has illustrated many New Yorker covers and children's books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feeback! Thanks for sharing!