Sunday, August 14, 2011

Captivating Crochet ~ OLEK

The Exhibit Started with A LIVE Model on the Street!
I have always admired the whimsical crochet work of OLEK, a polish Crochet Artist; who has been featured in Style Like U, CBS News and NY Magazine.  When I read of her upcoming exhibit in the Wall Street Journal I knew that it was one not to MIS.  Olek: The Bad Artists Imitate, The Great Artists Steal, the exhibit, began on the street in front of the Jonathan Levine Gallery in Chelsea, NYC. I smiled when I saw the crocheted covered person hanging out in a crocheted covered shopping cart, and as I ventured further down the block I found a gigantic scissor lift covered in Olek's signature, vibrant camouflage crochet!  The outdoor piece of the exhibit blew me away and her exhibit inside the gallery did not disappoint.  It was filled with her incredible creations ~ everything covered in crochet; from people in the gallery, to an entire living room!   Olek was a vision in a wild crochet dress and was lovely to meet.  I visited with my mom and we both left with a desire to create!


Hope you can check it out before it closes on August 27th.
Enjoy,
Margo Isadora


p.s. After the exhibit be sure to walk up to the beautiful new piece of the High Line above.  It is a wonderful space~ a calm oasis in the busy city!

And another live model and me alongside a HUGE crocheted sculpture!

Crochet Person Walking Down the Street!

The Fabulous Exhibit

Live Crochet Person on a Crocheted Exercise Bike!

Olek & me! (O wearing an incredible handmade crocheted dress!)

Crocheted Living Room! (with a suspended (fake) person chandelier)

Crocheted Beauty Seat- with a POP of color!

'Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History'-Marlyn Monroe -Olek

Up, Up and Away!

Women Modeling Olek's Work!

Change of pose on my way out...
Awesome Real People Crocheted ~ Head to Toe!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god this is amazing - it looks like she's literally crocheted everything she could find!! brilliant!!
    Just joined your blog and looking forward to more diy's from you!
    Sam xx
    barefacedbeautyfool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Olek is incredible :) So glad you visited my blog! Thank you, MIS

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your feeback! Thanks for sharing!